Heilig Kreuz Link
Nikolaikirche Tab

A short architectural history

The Saint Nicholas city- and parish church was founded in about 1165. The church was situated at the intersection of two important north-south, east-west trade roads. It was dedicated to Nicholas, the medieval patron saint of merchants and wholesalers. Even today it is still situated amongst office buildings in the city centre with its doors open to visitors from all over the world.

Weiterlesen...

Peace prayer services at St. Nicholas

Painting the angel of peace above the altar, our ancestors surely did not anticipate that peace prayer services would be so important in the future. A decade ago we ourselves could not imagine that these simple beginnings would ever grow so important.

Weiterlesen...

The events in fall 1989

"Nikolaikirche - open to all" became reality in autumn 1989 and surprised us all. After all, it united people from the whole of the former GDR: those who wanted to leave the country and those who were curious, regime critics and Stasi (State Security Police) personnel, church staff and SED members, Christians and Non-Christians beneath the outspread arms of the crucified and resurrected Jesus Christ. In view of the political reality between 1949 and 1989, this defies all imagination. It became reality. Exactly 450 years after the introduction of the Reformation in Leipzig, 176 years after the Battle of Nations in Leipzig. Now it was Leipzig once more.

Weiterlesen...